Guest Blog By: Laurie P.
Back pain affects many people in this country. Here are some interesting facts that you may not have known about back pain. If you have any specific questions don’t hesitate to call St Louis spine doctors for answers.
• 8 out of 10 people will have back pain at some point during their lives. This means that 80 percent of people will have to deal with it at one time or another.
• 80 percent of lower back pain is referred to as “nonspecific” back pain. This means that there is no way to determine exactly what is specifically causing the back pain.
• 95 percent of back pain that is nonspecific will actually resolve itself within about six weeks, so often with good care and rest, you can heal yourself.
• Generally, many doctors now agree that taking an X-ray of your back is actually not that helpful in determining the cause of back pain. They liken it to taking a photograph of your car’s engine and then presenting it to your mechanic and expecting a clear diagnosis.
• Did you know that smokers are more at risk for developing back pain? Yet another reason to quit.
• Those who are in good physical shape and who exercise regularly have fewer occurrences of back pain and if they do get any, tend to recover much more quickly.
As you can see, back pain is fairly common. If you are having back pain, consult your doctor.